Websters was built as Lansdowne Church in 1863. It is described by architectural historian Gordon Urquhart in his book about the building, ‘A Notable Ornament’, as an “Icon of Victorian Glasgow”.
Its tall slender steeple, complemented by the steeple of St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, forms one of the most distinctive architectural landmark features of Glasgow.
The building, considered to be Glasgow’s ﬁnest example of Gothic Revival churches, is also notable for its refined carved stone detail and its exceptional stained glass.
When the church was completed, it was ﬁtted out to the highest standard with a certain amount of good quality stained glass.
The large north and south transept windows were not adorned by distinctive stained glass at that time and it was not until 1913 that Alf Webster was commissioned for this purpose.
The windows that he undertook have since been recognised as the culmination of the career of a creative genius, a career that was cruelly brought to an end when Webster died of wounds received at Ypres in 1915.
Websters Theatre is named after the stained glass designer Alf Webster.
Webster produced some of his finest work in the building before his tragic death in World War 1 in 1915 at the age of 31.